Robust and dependable memory is fundamentally dependent on the health and vitality of the brain. The brain has an unbelievable ability to maintain the state of adapting and changing centered on stimuli, namely neuroplasticity. Based on stimulation, brains can form new neural pathways, make changes to existent connections as well as dynamically react to ever-changing ways. Irrespective of one’s daily endeavors, be it professional or student life, several involvements could aid in improving and maintaining memory and mental performance. Notably, brain boosting can happen at any age. Just like muscular strength, continued usage of the memory results to improvement. The best memory exercise interferes with routine and challenges one to develop new brain synapses.
1. Testing one’s recall abilities. Recall test could involve tabulation of grocery items required and memorizing them. In an hour’s time or so, one tests of how many of the items he/she could remember. It is advisable to make the list as challenging as possible for greatest mental stimulation.
2. Learning a music instrument or joining a choir. Studies have shown that learning complex and new things are ideal for an aging mind.
3. Listening and hearing stimulate the brains once they are both involved. Exposure to rich vocabulary reduces cognitive decline risks. Such exposure could be achieved through learning a foreign language and related consumption of infotainment and entertainment.
4. Visualization of words in one’s mind as well as making attempts to come up with other words that begin or end with letters similar to those of word of choice. Such exercise challenges the brain to keep up the ability to create mental pictures. Painters and sketch artists have such mental capacity well developed. Drawing a map based on memory could be a similar brain exercise. For instance, attempting to draw the map of areas one visited after returning home from a trip, and consistently repeating it following new places visits et cetera.
5. Challenging taste buds by attempting to identify individual ingredients in a meal, even of subtle spices. This exercise keeps the brain sensitive to the variety of tastes as known to it and clear distinction of each and every one of them. It’s also a way of learning new tastes.
6. Taking a hobby that improves motor skills and other hand-eye abilities. Activities such as knitting, painting, assembling puzzles among others advance the ability of the brain to ‘see’ and interpret right.
7. Learning new sports such as athletic exercises that apply the use of both body and mind such as golf, yoga, and tennis. Muscular health combined with the mind maintains proactive brain activity therein stimulating memory improvement through the establishment of new neural pathways.
8. Consistent brain engagement enriches memory. Such engagements involve hiking, painting, cooking or reading. Setting aside time for fun is also healthy for the brain. Association enables the human ability to maintain and retain memory. The combination of two or more words in musical lyrics makes it easier to remember than having individual words independently.
9. Developing new ideas for the brain to contemplate, new experiences to enjoy and new skills to master propels the mental ability to remember and refine cognitive abilities. The brain is left stronger, and subsequently, one enjoys a fuller life.
10. After meeting a new person, one could purpose to memorize at least additional three pieces of information besides the individual’s name. Such effort could be followed by filling in an index card for periodic review of all cards used.
11. Recalling facts in reverse order. Such exercise could be done during elevator sessions, commute time or any other time idle sitting is involved. For instance, attempting to say or think of the Roman alphabets in reverse order. Continued practice results to improvement and speed.
12. Following completion of reading a book, writing down a summary of the plot or main themes of the book including lesson learned. For those who don’t read much, it could commence with reading occasionally and often. Grammatically friendly books could be read at first them escalating to continuously advanced ones. The exercise maintains the continued ever improving challenge to the brain.
Effective brain exercises are not only limited to the above discussed only; one could develop challenges based on their level of need to push their memory. Of concern to one’s memory, immediate action is vital directing it to identify one’s needs in boosting memory. Time is now.